Monday, October 24, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Lentil Soup

Yay, it's Secret Recipe Club time again! This month I was assigned to GeorgieCakes. She's Greek, but currently resides in the US, so her blog is full of Greek recipes. Check her out ^_^

Guess what I wear as a hat?

Since I haven't done something savory for a while, I decided to check out the lentil soup recipe. I considered baklava, but I was afraid. Maybe some other time. Soup is quick, tasty, and something I can make my family for dinner. I'm not sure why I like lentil soup, it's mushy and brown with somewhat unidentifiable ingredients. Usually turned off by that sort of thing. But I'm not. Ah, the great mysteries of my life. 




I decided to leave out the roasted garlic, for two reasons. 1. The family's not a huge fan of the taste and 2. I was too lazy to roast a head of garlic. If you like it, go for it! Joy the Baker does a great post on how to do it. Also, you'll probably want to add more than 4 cups of stock. Mine absorbed the liquid really quickly.



Lentil Soup
adapted from GeorgieCakes



2 Cups of Lentils
2 Cups of water
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Medium Onion
3-4 cloves Garlic
2 Bay Leaves
3 Stalks of Celery
3 Carrots
¼ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Teaspoon Pepper
4 Cups Chicken Stock (I had equal parts stock and water. Lower sodium, y'know)
2 Tablespoon of Olive Oil

In a sauce pan combine water, lentils and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, drain and set aside. In your stockpot add olive oil, salt, pepper, heat for 2 minutes, then add chopped onions and crushed garlic, browning for 10 minutes. Prepare the celery and carrots by cutting into small pieces, add to stock pot to sear along with olive oil, onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
Take the lentils (do not rinse) add to stock pot, allow to heat with  vegetables and oil for 2 to 3 minutes so lentils absorb all the flavors. Finally add the chicken stock mixing all the ingredients, simmer for 45 minutes and serve.





8 comments:

  1. Love a hearty soup. Great choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to be in Group C with you, this looks fantastic! Great SRC post!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect hearty soup for a cold night.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Thin Mint Irish Coffee.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a hearty soup. (I am scared to make baklava too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Kelly, I hope I get your blog someday ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you got a great blog for SRC. What a hearty soup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing my recipe with the wonderful SRC group. Unfortunately I was unable to participate this month, I don't have enough post to be part of the group. Hopefully soon I'll be able to re-join ;) You rendition looks incredibly yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me so happy. I try to respond to each and every one of them!