Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple Crisp

It's been a while since I've been to an apple orchard. I'd forgotten the lovely symmetry of the rows and rows of trees, the pleasing snap of pulling an apple off a branch. We picked Haralsons, a variety I'd never tried before. Crisp and tart, with funny little bumps on the skin, I loved them immediately. And knew they'd be perfect for baking. 
It's rare that you see this kind of beauty in an orchard. 


I had the hardest time finding a knife to peel and cut apples (again with the taking things for granted!) but I tracked one down eventually. I prefer crisps to pies because I find that pie crust is so often bad and just seems...superfluous. The again, I've never made my own pie crust, so I'll have to get back to you guys on my pie feelings when that happens. 


Mmmm...crisp. You just can't mess it up. The components meld together to create some tasty and unified in a way I don't feel like pie achieves. Feel free to disagree with me. But this baby was gone in like, an hour, and I think that speaks for itself :) 




Apple Crisp 

makes one 8x8 pan

Ingredients

5 apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
  2. Place the sliced apples in pan. Mix the white sugar, 2 tsp flour and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples. Pour water evenly over all.
  3. Combine the oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me so happy. I try to respond to each and every one of them!