Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lamb Stew

I'm in this weird place where I haven't quite figured out what I'm supposed to be doing or where I am. My siblings are still in school for another week, while I'm prone to stumbling around the house in a sleep deprived stupor as I wait to hear back from potential employers.

Least I can do is make dinner, right? Stew conjures up images of chilly nights, huddled by a fire (possibly wearing a cape made of a blanket held around the shoulders with a binder clip. Cutting edge fashion right there) looking for something warm to eat.

Welp, as you can see by the pictures and title of this post, that's what I made. Maybe the college crazy hasn't worn off yet. This stew is lovely and simple. Tender chunks of lamb, cooked with melt in your mouth onions and potatoes. I first made this when I was like...11 or 12. So you can do it. While you're at it, find some nice, warm bread to serve with it. Maybe these?



Lamb Stew
from the Usborne Children's World Cookbook 

Ingredients 

1 1/2 lbs stewing lamb, or neck and shoulder joints
1 1/2 lbs potatoes
2 large onions
dried thyme or mixed herbs
salt and pepper
1 meat bouillon cube
2 cups boiling water
2 Tb butter

1. Preheat oven to 325. Trim any fat off the meat and cut into 1 inch cubes. Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Chop onions into small pieces. 
2. Put a layer of meat into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper. Add a layer of onions, and then potatoes, sprinkling each layer with the herb mix. You should end up with potatoes on top.
3. Make the bouillon and pour it into the dish. Brush butter over the top layer of potatoes.
4. Put the lid on the dish and cook it for 2 hours. For the last half hour, remove the lid.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me so happy. I try to respond to each and every one of them!